What Is Included?
Between 18 and 22 weeks into your pregnancy, your baby will be large enough for your medical provider to see details of their organs and limbs from head to toe through an anatomy scan.
If you’re having multiples, each fetus will receive their own scan. Sometimes, follow up ultrasounds for growth and reevaluation will be suggested based on the findings of the initial scan.
- Evaluation of the brain (including ventricles, cerebellum, corpus callosum, and other key structures)
- Neck (including nuchal fold thickness)
- Face structures (palate, eyes, nose, lips, and ears)
- Detailed heart and lung anatomy
- Spine and ribs
- Abdominal organs (stomach intestines, spleen, liver, gall bladder) and the abdominal wall
- Limbs and digits
- Genitals (if visible, can determine fetal sex)
- Umbilical cord including vessels and insertion site
- Placenta structure and location
- Cervical length
- Fetal position and movements
- Amniotic fluid